Tuesday 10 February 2015

3d Printed Star Trek Phaser Rifle

I have wanted a star trek phaser rifle for a while and started looking at making one from plastic sheets using a pepakura pattern I found online. I even made a small cardboard one to see how it would look.

This is the goal of my project! Let's see how close the finished prop looks.




Since getting my 3d printer I thought I would give it a go and I manged to stumble upon a set of free stl files.
The parts have been designed so they will fit onto most 3d printers.
These are the parts I have printed so far. I have already joined some of the parts. As they are printed in ABS the best way to join them is with Acetone. This makes a chemical weld to join the plastic.
Here are the parts so far.



I have just ran out of white ABS so while I'm waiting on some more to arrive I will be printing the rest in blue ABS. The whole thing is going to be painted anyway so it doesn't really matter. 

Here is the printing of the last piece of the prop. This part took the longest, over 4 hours to print

http://youtu.be/R6lWlWLj85A

Here is what the completed and assembled Phaser Rifle looks like.


The next step is to fill and paint the prop. I will post photos as I go so you can see it at the different stages.

More to follow! Come back soon!

3 comments:

  1. good work. do you have cad file from the phaser rifle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, the cad file should be available on Thingiverse or my mini factory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valuable Post. Engineers Garage is the online community for Electrical & Electronics Engineering students where they will explore latest electronics projects and circuit diagrams. It's a complete hub for Electronics projects for final year students. Visit : Engineers Garage

    ReplyDelete